Due to a lack of a quorum for our Fall 2012 meeting the minutes from our June 2012 were not approved until our June 2013 meeting. Highlights of our June 2013 meeting include:
New Board Member Elected, Joe Fox
By Law change to only one meeting a year rather then two
Board to continue looking into a Lake Improvement District, (LID) BFLA can not continue to fund current projects to perserve the lake without a major increase in dues or becoming a LID
Below are the approved minutes from our June 2012 meeting
Meeting called to order by President James Sand at 9:00 AM. Township Hall.
Board Members present: Jim Sand, President, Jack Brunner Sec’t. Matt Peters, Treasurer, Allen Schmitz, Bill Schnettler, Mike Fandel, Bryan Bjorkland, Rena Weber – Past President;
Excused: Neil Fandel,
Prior to the 9 am Meeting:
a. Committee met with the Fund Drive Committee: Avon, Fishers. Goal: Meet the $5,000 challenge: Need more donations for the Silent Auction and more membership. All on track.
b. Jim Sand Up date to Committee:  Presence of Buckthorn – individual landowner responsibility; see Web Site up date; 123 e-mails sent. 22 bounced – email address no longer valid. 46 opened, the remainder not opened.
c. Boat Landing: Contracted Services is expensive. $7500 yearly.
1. 9:00 AM Jim introduced Pam Perry of the DNR for a video and talk on Eagles and Osprey in Minnesota. Today the eagles are healthy over 1000 active nests. Talk lasted till 9:30 AM, after which she answered questions for 15 minutes. Very informative, very well done
2. 9:45 AM: Meeting was called to order. 22 members present: quorum is 20.
3. Agenda approved 100%. Minutes of Sept 10, 2011-approved 100% as printed.
4. Treasurer’s Report: Up to 5/30/12 $2,836 budgeted; $508.69 spent: $2,827.31 balance.
5. Visioning Grant: expense $1118.18 Balance $885.10; Fund Raising Expenses – zero; Membership Income $2450.00; IF Rearing Pond: exp: $2752.96; Income $5,000; balance $2247.04; Conservancy Fund as of3/321/12= $36,553.00; Non dedicated balance: $13,836.14; Petty Cash = $300.00. Motion to accept. 2nd, 100% approved.
6. Membership Drive: 100 Members. We will do door-to-door.
7. Water Testing: by Bill S: Very dry spring. Most areas not running. One area heavy Phosphorus.
8. Secchi Dish Report: for 2011: Average SD 18.8 feet; 25.54 inches of rain Plus 1.53 Ice/rain. But in 2010 ice/rain was 4.89 and 2009 4.45/ Matt P recognized for 25 for SD readings: Joe and Dee Peters for 10 Years of service to Secchi Dish Reports.
9. Northern Rearing Pond Report: Procedure: Add chemical alum, which attaches to phosphorus, which sinks to the bottom. Two treatments to date, 2 more pending. Owners around this area are cooperating with not cutting close to the water and not putting lawn clipping in the water. Wonderful
10. Conservancy Fund: See above: Yearly interest to fund projects on the lake.
11. MN Waters Update: Suspended operations: Another conservancy group will run our Web Site.
12. Boat Landing: Applied for a grant: Denied. Board wishes to work through contracted Services. The sooner something is done, the safer the lake shall be. Consensus of our discussion.
13. Army Tent Worms: Association does not have 100% landowner membership. Therefore a fly-over is not possible. Landowners will have to work on this individually or in small groups. BFLA supports these efforts.
14. Loon Nests. 3 nests: one empty; one 1 baby, plus 2 un-hatched eggs; one with 2 chicks.
15. July 2nd Fund Raiser at Fishers of Avon. Open to one and all. Bring your friends. $22 per adult; $10 for kids. This is our last year with a $5000 matching grant.
16. Boat Parade: July 4th. 2 PM sharp. August 26th Family Social serving chicken at Hidden Cove Orchard. Activities from 11:00 to 3:00
17. ELECTIONS: no one put their names to the ballot. All those up for re-election have agreed to serve: Motion by re elect: Fr.Jack, Matt, Allen Byron, and Neil. 2nd and passed 100%. At a future meeting the membership will have to work out the vice-president position.
18. Open Forum: (A) Doug Adamek thanked the board for their dedication and hard work. (B) Power Line down the El Rancho Road. No one knows anything else. (C) Curley Leaf Pond Weed seems to be dying out. (D) Boat Landing; need to solve this problem quickly. (E) To spray for Army Tend Worms about $32 per lot. (F) Lake Assoc. could become a taxing Authority giving us 100% and funds necessary for future major projects. (G) Association thanks Township for the hall and their hospitality.
19. Adjourned at 10:32 AM – Minutes by Jack H. Brunner